Your planning, structural engineer and architectural experts

Residential Projects

Residential Projects

Robert Blake Designs work within the residential sector, providing a unique design service combining residential planning and building regulations design. Our services incorporate structural design carried out by our in house IStructE Chartered Structural Engineer.

We work closely with our clients to ensure we provide them with the most cost-effective design solutions in a timely manner, ensuring our customers obtain planning permission. We follow the latest planning legislation and develop designs which follow the latest construction methods, whist working to the client’s requirements. Samples of our recent projects can be found on our website.

Property Extension Projects

Robert Blake Designs provides the full design service to make your dreams a reality. Whether you are looking to remove a wall, add a two-storey rear extension, or construct a loft conversion, we have the skills and expertise to prepare and submit appropriate designs.

We have undertaken the designs of many home extensions, initially preparing and submitting planning drawings to the council then, once a supported planning application is received we can commence with preparing working drawings to which a building contractor can price from and eventually would work to. We can undertake the role of planning and building control agents submitting all householder applications and full plans applications on your behalf. We take a proactive approach with our design services and are contactable throughout all phases of the project.

Planning Permission & Permitted Development

Planning permission is the consent of your local authority on a proposed building project and is in place to deter inappropriate development. The building of a new dwelling, or extensive changes to existing buildings, usually requires planning permission.

Rules, known as ‘permitted development’ rights, allow you to extend a house without needing to apply for planning permission if specific limitations and conditions are met, however, we would always recommend that a ‘Lawful Development Certificate‘ is obtained for peace of mind. If you want to exceed these, then it is likely that an application for householder planning permission will be required.

Lawful Development Certificate

For peace of mind, if you wish to be certain that an existing building’s use is lawful for planning purposes or that you do not require planning permission, a Lawful Development Certificate can be obtained.

We can obtain the Lawful Development Certificate on your behalf, this will ensure the use, operation, or activity named is lawful for planning control purposes.

Planning Permission Drawings

Planning drawings are scaled drawings required to be submitted as part of any planning application. They are an essential tool to communicate the proposals so the appointed planning officer can understand how the project fits into the landscape as a whole. Skill, experience, and precision are required in their execution to correctly convey the project’s dimensions and scale.

Planning Permission

Planning Permission, in simple terms, is like asking if you can carry out specific elements of building work. It will be granted (possibly subject to certain conditions) or refused.

Parliament has given the main responsibility for planning to Local Planning Authorities (usually, this is the planning department of your local council)

Whether your changes fall within Permitted Development or require full householder planning permission, having detailed plans is an essential requirement.

These plans form an integral part of your planning / permitted development application. Not only are they important for this part of the process, but plans also help to visualise the ideas that you have for your extension and what you want it to look like.

Building Regulation Drawings

You must decide on the type of application for your planned residential build, extension or alteration work.

1. Building notice
This type of application is only for smaller residential projects. You can start work 2 days after your notice has been submitted to your BCB. You do not get formal approval like you do with full plans.

2. Full plans
This is the most thorough option. You can expect a decision within 5 weeks, or 2 months with your consent.
You’ll get a completion certificate within 8 weeks of completion of the building work as long as it complies.

Structural Design

Structural design is the methodical investigation of the stability, strength and rigidity of structures. The basic objective in structural analysis and design is to produce a structure capable of resisting all applied loads without failure during its intended life. Our in house Chartered Structural Engineer has a wealth of experience in structural design.

Build Over Agreements
If you’re building over or near a domestic sewer with a pipe diameter of 160mm or less you will need to apply for a domestic approved build over agreement.
Structural Drawings

The structural drawings are primarily concerned with the load-bearing members of a structure. They outline the size and types of the structural elements such as the beams and columns, as well as the materials to be used. The structural engineering drawings will also include the connections between elements. The structural drawings communicate the design of the building’s structure to the appointed building contractor as well as the building authority reviewing the project.

Structural Surveys

A Structural Survey can assess a specific building defect, or alternatively a full structural survey can be carried out. Our IStructE Chartered Structural Engineer has the experience in traditional forms of construction or non-traditional construction forms.

We are able to carry out detailed, non-intrusive, visual examination of a building property, or an intrusive investigation should it be necessary.

Whether you require a structural survey for reassurance, or as a condition of your mortgage application, our expertise and advice will prove invaluable to you.